Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hunkerin' Down

This is what we were doing last night during the storms. It is the first time that we have had to go to the basement when the tornado sirens started. It was insane! All the kids except for Kaitlyn were asleep so we had to wake them up and sit downstairs for a while. There was a hook cloud that went pretty much over us. I did get to see what a funnel cloud looks like for the first time and it was really weird. I could see it form out in the distance and the cone shape was clearly there.

Jason and I ventured outside to talk to some neighbors before the actual storm hit and the clouds were swirling above us. It was hot and muggy with a decent breeze and then all at once the breeze stopped. After a few minutes, it picked back up and the temperature immediately dropped. It was a little spooky to feel that while you can see the clouds above you start to swirl. Our immediate area didn't get hit with the tornado but tornados were touching down about 10 miles away. We also had a tornado touch down just north of us about 10 miles on Sunday. What is up with this weather?


We did get some hail at the house. These were not the biggest ones but there were a lot of ones this size. I don't think Jason felt up to running out in the hail to search for the biggest pieces and I wasn't going to make him. Jason had the trailer parked in the spot of the garage that we normally park the Trailblazer and when the TV said that we could expect baseball size hail I freaked. That would definately ding up the truck. Poor guy bundled up with a thick coat and headed out to pull the trailer out and park the Trailblazer in the garage. Hail this size had been hitting the truck and Jason said that there are a few dings on the roof. But, I feel very lucky that that was all the damage that we sustained.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys were smart! We didn't end up going to our basement but were watching our t.v. closely. This storm though was the scariest I'd seen. Our flowers sure didn't like the hail!

Anonymous said...

We hung out in the basement for 2 hour too. We lost 3 or four branches out of my favorite tree. It was a scary one. The sirens went off almost 10 times last night! I am glad most everyone made it through unharmed!

Anonymous said...

it WAS a crazy night, huh? i'll be posting about the "lindseth family party" that we had sometime soon too...although i don't have any cool hail pictures!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, everyone keeps on saying "Welcome to Nebraska!" We were in a basement closet last night. Scary! Glad everyone is ok, though. And I'm kinda jealous that you got to see a funnel cloud, etc, but also thinking...ARE YOU NUTS!?

Anonymous said...

Dude! I have no idea where you live, but oh my gosh...scary! Looks like you handled it good and what a good mom by making a party out of it!