Hooray! The cast is gone and we all couldn't be happier. He only had the cast for 2 and a half weeks but it was thrilling to get it off. Since Kaiden had the rods put in his leg, he has had issues with irritation and swelling. It started to get worse at Christmas time and by mid January he was missing preschool because he couldn't walk on it. They were worried about an infection so they drew blood, poor little guy, and it came back clear so the surgeon decided to pull the rods out asap. I was a bit worried because they were supposed to stay in for about year and they were only in for 3 months but she assured us that he would be fine. He is happy to be back to running around and getting into trouble.

Taking it off was so dramatic. I spent time talking to him about what was going to happen and how "cool" it was going to be. He was tough until we got back to the room and then he panicked. The nurse was wonderful and tried to talk him into relaxing but eventually we just had to hold him down and go for it. Picture me sprawled across him holding him down as he screamed to the top of his lungs that they were cutting his leg and that he could feel it. Definitely not my proudest moment as a mom but we got through it. ;)

Notice his red face. I'm not sure who was more exhausted when it was all over. Him from all the thrashing or me from holding him down. The nurse assured me that boys are always the ones that cry while the girls hold still and think it is cool. She said it is the first step toward the "man cold". Hee! Hee! Did I mention that I really liked the nurse?

Here is a shot of his knee the night the cast came off. It looks really good. The threads are still coming out the side and he will not let me cut them off. I'm not sure if he is scared or he just thinks they are cool. It took almost 2 months for them to fall off last time so it shouldn't be too much longer before those are gone too.
No comments:
Post a Comment